Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Stone Reader

The final interview with the author of the Stones of Summer, was very interesting. Dow Mossman seemed a bit out of it at some points, changing volume and tone and speaking quickly. He was not what I thought of when I thought of an author, he had little to no money, couldn't even hold a job bundling news papers, and had been doing manual labor in the form of welding since his book had ceased to be in circulation. It amazed me that this was the person who had inspired a two year long man hunt for the amazing author that wrote the book The Stones of Summer. It seems sad to me that someone with the capability to write something so powerful, and yet could lead such an unnoticeable life. Dow Mossman spent an incredible amount of time and energy on his novel and yet saw so little for it. He had life experiences that mattered, he had a view on life that was unique, and yet he spent most of his life welding metal together. I find it horribly depressing that someone with such talent wasn't allowed to make that talent his sole profession.

1 comment:

  1. When I saw that Dow Mossman was in the state he was and doing what he was doing, I was surprised as well. I was expecting to not really see someone wealthy, but was expecting to see someone who was still fulfilling his compassion of writing. I also agree with you that its sad that someone with such great talent just limited themselves to welding after they wrote such a "great book" that cause for a few year hunt for the author.

    ReplyDelete